- Remembering the Quecreek Mine Rescue 15 years later
This week marks the 15th anniversary of the Quecreek Mine Rescue. From July 24 through the 28, 2002, nine miners were trapped underground in a Somerset County coal mine. All nine men survived the 77 hour ordeal. On WITF’s Smart Talk Monday, former Governor Mark Schweiker and former Department of Environmental Protection Secretary David Hess [...]
- Republicans brewing Russian scandal to target greens.
Allegations the Kremlin is bankrolling U.S. anti-fracking activists are ludicrous, groups say. But lawmakers want Treasury to investigate.
- Earthquake expert proposes ‘no frack zone’ around critical infrastructure.
Energy regulators should consider five-kilometre exclusion zones to protect critical infrastructure such as cities and dams from an increasing number of earthquakes caused by hydraulic fracturing, says an expert on seismic hazards.
- Longwall mining bill becomes law, angering environmentalists
Gov. Tom Wolf declined on Friday to veto a bill that makes it easier to develop a long-wall coal mine beneath a state park in Greene County, allowing it to become law despite pressure from environmentalists who say it will damage streams. Senate Bill 624 allows the Department of Environmental Protection to issue permits for [...]
- Weekly Personal Ozone Exposure and Respiratory Health in a Panel of Greek Schoolchildren
Introduction Ozone (O3), a very reactive gas and strong oxidant, is found as a secondary pollutant in the troposphere. Although, its presence in the stratosphere is essential for life because it filters harmful ultraviolet radiation, increased concentrations of O3 in the air we breathe have been linked to adverse health effects mainly concerning the respiratory […]
- The Prevalence of Extended-Spectrum Beta-Lactamase-Producing Multidrug-Resistant Escherichia Coli in Poultry Chickens and Variation According to Farming Practices in Punjab, India
Introduction Medically important antimicrobials are used extensively in food animal production for disease prevention (e.g., prophylaxis and metaphylaxis), treatment, and growth promotion. It is estimated that two-thirds of antimicrobials produced globally are consumed in the livestock sector (CDDEP 2015). Numerous studies suggest that the widespread use of agricultural antimicrobials contributes to increased clinical resistance to […]